Meet our new favorite healthy go-to dinner recipe for the weeknights!
This delicious recipe for Turkey Quinoa Stuffed Peppers is inspired by a recipe we discovered by Nikki at Love And Food Foreva. When we saw it we knew we had to make it for ourselves and put our own spin on it (who doesn’t love black beans?!) … It did NOT disappoint!
We love this dish for a lot of reasons: it’s healthy, packed with flavor and protein, and is pretty quick and easy to make! It’s also gluten free, just be sure to double check your chicken stock!
Turkey Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
- 1 pound ground turkey breast
- 1/2 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 1 1/4 cup low sodium chicken broth separated
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2-3 large bell peppers, halved and seeded
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 2 green onions, dark green tops chopped and reserved
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium high heat. Add olive oil. Sauté onions and garlic, stirring occasionally until fragrant (a couple of minutes).
- Add ground turkey, cumin, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Break up the turkey using a wooden spoon/spatula, allowing it to brown (4-5 minutes).
- Once turkey is almost completely browned, add uncooked quinoa, tomato paste, 1 cup of chicken broth, chopped cilantro, and black beans. Stir well to combine then cover. Let simmer over medium heat for 15 minutes.
- While the mixture simmers, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and slice the bell peppers in half. Remove the seeds and white membranes inside.
- Put bell peppers halves into an oven proof dish. Fill each half with as much turkey-quinoa filling as you can. Pour remaining ¼ cup of chicken broth into the baking dish. Cover with parchment paper and bake for 35 minutes.
- Remove from pan from oven and sprinkle each bell pepper with shredded cheese and chopped green onion tops, bake another 10 minutes. Serve immediately.
Pro Tip: You can also make this dish dairy-free by not adding the cheese.
If you make this recipe be sure and share it with us on Instagram! We would love to see how your recipe turns out!
All photos by Lorianne DeVita