These bite-sized cups by Carmen at Every Last Bite are packed full of Mexican flavor but low in carbs and fat. An easy-to-make appetizer to serve at your next fiesta.
Although delicious, Mexican appetizers such as cheesy nachos, quesadillas and 7 layer dip are high in calories and low in nutrients. By swapping the cheese and sour cream for mashed avocado and a homemade salsa fresca, these cups have all of the Mexican flavor but with a lot less calories and fat.
Won ton wrappers are baked in the oven in muffin tins until crisp and then filled with shredded lettuce, black beans, chicken, avocado (a great source of fiber and potassium) and a spicy salsa fresca. Serve a plate of these Mexican Cups at your next fiesta, they will be a big hit with family and friends.
Mexican Won-Ton Cups
- 1 large boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 12 won ton wrappers
- olive oil cooking spray
- 1 avocado, mashed
- 1 can black beans
- 1/2 cup shredded lettuce
- 3/4 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 1/4 red onion
- 1/2 jalapeno
- juice from 1 lime
- pinch of salt
- Place the chicken breast in a bowl with the lime juice, cumin, smoked paprika and olive oil and allow to marinate for 2 to 4 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Put the chicken and marinade in a baking dish and bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Once cooked, remove from the oven and allow to cool before cutting into bite-sized pieces.
- To make the salsa, chop up the tomatoes, onion, jalapenos and cilantro and place in a bowl. Sprinkle with salt and stir in the lime juice.
- Place a won ton wrapper into each cup of a muffin tin and spray lightly with olive oil. Bake in the oven for 5-6 minutes or until crisp and golden in color.
- Fill each won ton cup with shredded lettuce, a spoonful of black beans, chicken, mashed avocado and salsa. Serve.
Recipe and images by Carmen of Every Last Bite.