If you have an abundance of leftover turkey from the holiday, then we highly encourage you to get on making this soup.
Thanksgiving is done and if you are like us, you are likely left with some of your turkey (and are probably sick of holiday leftovers at this point). Enter our tasty One Pot Leftover Turkey and Vegetable Soup.
Many people make turkey soup with their leftover turkey and if you have ever wondered if it’s hard to do, we have got you. Turns out, making a delicious and nutritious turkey soup isn’t difficult at all.
The idea behind this soup is to take the remnants from the Thanksgiving table and combine them seamlessly into a turkey vegetable soup. What is so great about this recipe is that you can make your turkey soup whatever you want. Have leftover onion? It’s going in. Carrots? In the pot! Same goes for potatoes, green beans, celery, brussels sprouts, spinach… you get the idea.
We made this version with potatoes, but this dish is also fantastic with some rice or pasta in there.
This soup will last a few days in the refrigerator and it also freezes very well!
One Pot Leftover Turkey and Vegetable Soup
- Slow cooker or Dutch over
- 2 cups leftover Thanksgiving turkey, cut into bite sized chunks
- 2 tbsp olive or avocado oil
- ½ tbsp fresh crushed garlic
- 1 cup chopped white onion
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 2 cups sliced golden potatoes
- 1 cup sliced green beans
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp thyme fresh
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 4 bay leaves
- Remove turkey meat from the bones and dice it until you have 2 cups.
- Turn on your slow cooker to sauté or in your Dutch oven, add the olive or avocado oil.
- Add the carrot, celery, and onion, green beans and cook stirring for 5 minutes until softened.
- Add the garlic and thyme, oregano, salt, pepper, and cook stirring for 1 minute.
- Turn off the slow cooker or Dutch Oven, then add the turkey, chicken broth (or water if adding bones), salt, and pepper, potatoes and bay leaves.
- Stir together, then secure the lid and turn to medium heat. Taste to add more salt if needed.
- Let cook for 30 minutes. Add more spices to taste.