Spatchcock Chicken deliciousness alert!
When we saw Rocco DiSpirito made this chicken recipe we knew we had to share it back with you all! It’s a healthy and flavorful main course that everyone is sure to love. Rocco suggests serving it with a potato puree.
Tip: to make this dish gluten free, simply sub the soy sauce for gluten free tamari.
Rocco DiSpirito’s Spatchcocked (Butterflied) Roast Chicken with Quick Pan Jus
- 1 large chicken, about 3.5 to 4.5 pounds
- 2 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tsp chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 medium onion, medium dice, (about 1 cup)
- 1 medium carrot, peeled, medium dice, (about ½ cup)
- 1 medium rib celery, medium dice (about ½ cup)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup dry vermouth or sherry
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Fresh Rosemary Sprigs for garnish
- Place oven rack in upper-middle position and preheat oven to 500°F (260°C). Using sharp kitchen shears, remove spine from chicken and cut spine into 5 to 6 one-inch-long pieces. Set spine aside. Flatten chicken by placing skin side up on a cutting board and applying firm pressure to breast bone.Transfer to a wire rack set in a foil-lined rimmed baking sheet. Position chicken so that breasts are aligned with center of baking sheet and legs are close to edge.
- Drizzle chicken with 1 tablespoon oil. Combine 1 tablespoon sea salt, 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, and 1 teaspoon baking powder in a small bowl. Sprinkle all over chicken. Sprinkle chicken with herbs, if using. Rub chicken to distribute seasoning evenly all over skin.
- Roast chicken until thickest part of breast close to bone registers 150°F on an instant-read thermometer and joint between thighs and body registers at least 155°F, about 45 minutes, reducing heat to 450°F if chicken starts to darken too quickly.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a small saucepan over high heat until shimmering. Add chicken spine and cook, stirring frequently, until well browned, about 3 minutes. Add onion, carrot, and celery and cook, stirring frequently, until beginning to brown, about 3 minutes. Add bayleaf and deglaze with vermouth or sherry and 1 cup water, using a wooden spoon to scrape up any browned bits from bottom of pan. Reduce heat to maintain simmer and cook for 20 minutes. Strain out solids and return liquid to pan. Boil over medium-high heat until approximately 1/3 cup remains, about 7 minutes. Whisk in soy sauce, butter, and lemon juice off heat. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Remove chicken from oven, transfer to cutting board, tent loosely with foil, allow to rest 5 minutes before carving. Serve with hot jus and Luxurious Potato Puree.
Enjoy and let us know if you make this recipe and share with us on Instagram!
Looking for more recipes from Rocco on WOT? Try out his Easy Turkey Dinner or his Skillet Cookie and Keto Margarita.