This no-fail Southwest Salad is sure to become a new favorite.
Straight out of the Women of Today test kitchen comes this healthy and tasty recipe for Hearty Vegetarian Southwest Salad with Cilantro Dressing. The recipe is vegan and gluten free and free from all major allergins so you can serve to almost anyone!
The trick with the beans is to combine them with the other ingredients noted below while you’re making the dressing so the flavors can meld together. And we had to add in some hearts of palm to this recipe to give it a little Brazilian flavor and flair!
Hearty Vegan Southwest Salad with Cilantro Dressing
- 1 head of Romain lettuce, washed and chopped
- 2 handfuls of spring mix, or small bag
- 2 avocados, diced
- 2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 1 140z can of Hearts of Palm, rounds sliced, drained and rinsed
- 1 15.5oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp red onion, chopped
- 1 plum tomato, chopped
- 1 small jalapeno, chopped optional
- pinch of salt
- drizzle of olive oil
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 2 tsp ginger, minced
- 1 cup cilantro, rinsed and roughly chopped, the small part of the stems work too
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice approximately 1 large lime
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsp honey
- 1/3 cup olive oil This will get drizzled in after the above ingredients get blended
- Combine all of the ingredients and set aside as you’re making your dressing.
- Using a blender or an emersion blender, combine all ingredients except the olive oil. With the motor running slowly on the blender or emersion blender, slowly pour oil into the other ingredients. The dressing will begin to thicken.
- Arrange the lettuce at the bottom of a large serving bowl and toss with dressing. Top dressed salad with the corn, avocados, hearts of palm and the black bean combo mixture or you could serve the dressing on the side.
Making this salad? Be sure to share it with us on Instagram — We would love to see it!