We just made one of your favorite comfort foods better for you!
Looking for a flavorful and easy soup that is packed with vegetables? This Tomato Basil Bisque recipe is for you! We took to the Test Kitchen to create an elevated and better-for-you version of the classic tomato soup, and we have to admit that this may be our new favorite go-to soup this fall.
This soup is just as beautiful as it is delicious, making it the perfect dish to serve for entertaining! Combine it with your favorite crusty bread and a side salad, like our Easy Mediterranean Salad, and you have a complete meal.
Tip: If you’d like to make this soup a little velvety, add a little heavy cream.
Tomato Basil Bisque
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup white onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup carrots, finely chopped
- 1 cup celery, finely chopped
- 28 oz can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2½ cups chicken or vegetable broth, more if desired
- ½ tsp dried oregano leaves
- ½ cup basil, chopped and divided
- Sea salt and ground black pepper
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- In a large stockpot add oil and heat to medium high. Add the chopped onions and sauté for a couple of minutes. Add the carrots and celery and sauté until quite soft about 8 minutes.
- Add diced tomatoes, oregano, and tomato paste. Cook for a few minutes.
- Add the ¼ cup of the fresh chopped basil and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Working in batches, puree the mixture until smooth and return to pot. If you prefer your soup not as blended, you don’t have to puree all the soup.
- Add the chicken or vegetable broth and bring to a slow boil and cook for several minutes until the soup begins to slowly boil. If the soup is too thick for your liking, add ½ cup more of broth.
- Optional – If you like a velvety texture, turn the heat off the pot and add ¼ cup of heavy cream.
- Season to taste with sea salt and pepper.
- Garnish with the remaining chopped basil leaves and serve.
Making this recipe? Be sure and share it with us on the WOT Instagram or on Facebook!
All photos by Lorianne DeVita