The beauty of this recipe is you can truly make it whatever you want it to be!
Organic yams are a staple in the WOT kitchen — We can always find a healthy and delicious way to use them and these Turkey Stuffed Yams are no exception.
The filling and can be used in so many different ways for creative, fun, and easy meals! Today we have filled the yams with healthy scoops of organic ground turkey and chickpeas for a punch of protein which created a complete meal. But really, let this recipe just be your inspiration… Because you can get as custom as you want with these.
When making these, we decided to go for it and created an entire toppings and ingredients bar of our favorite and delicious fixings (a favorite thing to do at dinner time in Camila’s house). We used fresh organic tomatoes, spinach, peppers, jalapeños, avocado, arugula, broccoli, and goat cheese. If you are using leftover turkey that is already cooked, simply heat it up and add it to the toppings bar.
If you want to add melted cheese on top (who doesn’t?!), simply sprinkle on your cheese last and then broil your fully assembled yams for just 2 minutes until that cheese on top is nice and melted.
Did we mention you can really do no wrong with this recipe? Have fun with it and enjoy!
Turkey Stuffed Yams
- 3 large organic sweet potatoes
- 1 tbsp. organic coconut oil
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp. red pepper flakes
- desired toppings
- 1 tbsp. avocado oil
- Poke holes in the yams and roast at 425 degrees for 30-35 minutes.
- While the yams are roasting, prepare the ground turkey. Add the coconut oil to a skillet. Once the oil is warm, add in the ground turkey and cook for approximately 10 minutes or until the turkey is cooked through.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- In a separate skillet, sauté the chickpeas in avocado oil. Add in the red pepper flakes, and season with salt and pepper, or any other desired spices.
- Once the yams are roasted, let them cool.
- Cut each yam in half and scoop out a portion of the center. Add ground turkey and chickpeas inside.
- Top with desired toppings.
Recipe inspired by Instagram’s choosing_balance