Allow us to introduce to you your new favorite side dish!
If you are looking for a new vegetarian side dish option, these Vegetarian Stuffed Portobellos are a must-try! They are hearty stuffed mushrooms that are bursting with flavor with a hint of spice and are equally as beautiful as they are delicious.
This recipe comes together easily, and is perfect served with a salad and nice bread or as an appetizer!
Tip: Make sure you take your time when preparing the mushrooms. Drain them well after they bake by pouring the water off them and the pan. Also, waste less by using the same piece of parchment paper for the mushroom preparation and baking them stuffed!
Vegetarian Stuffed Portobellos
- 4 large portobello mushrooms, cleaned
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeno or habanero, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 10 oz can diced tomatoes with green chilis, drained
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
- 5 oz baby spinach and kale mix, washed
- ½ cup cheddar cheese, grated
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F and line a small baking pan with parchment paper.
- Remove stems from mushrooms and place mushrooms upside down. Bake in oven for 15-20 minutes. The mushrooms will release a lot of water. Remove mushrooms from pan, draining the water onto the baking sheet. Set mushrooms aside and the pour off all the water in the baking sheet.
- While mushrooms are baking, in a skillet over medium heat, heat the olive oil and add garlic, sliced onions and jalapeno pepper. Cook for 5 minutes until onions are soft and translucent.
- Add the diced tomatoes and chopped cilantro. Stir to combine. Add the baby spinach and kale mixture, stir to combine, cover, and let simmer for 2-4 minutes or until just wilted. Season with sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper.
- Reduce oven heat to 375 degrees. Fill the portobello mushrooms with the stuffing mixture. Top with grated cheddar cheese and bake in oven for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Serve with your favorite sides or salad.
Want more inspiration? Try pairing this recipe with our Easy Mediterranean Salad.
Making this recipe? Be sure and share it with us on the WOT Instagram or on Facebook!
All photos by Lorianne DeVita