Looking for a quick and easy side dish for your Labor Day meal? We have you covered.
Meet our Basil Mint Orzo Salad. A fresh and bright recipe, this dish will have you and others going back for more. The addition of fresh mint and basil create really beautiful summer flavors that make this dish extra delicious.
The whole thing comes together in less than an hour and while your orzo is cooking, you can prep your other ingredients. If you do have any leftovers (which, let’s be honest we don’t think you will), this will keep in the fridge for a couple of days.
Basil Mint Orzo Salad
- 3 cups water
- 1.5 cups orzo pasta
- 1.5 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1.5 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp honey
- pinch of sea salt
- ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus 1 tablespoon
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 3 tbsp red onion, diced
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, chopped
- Bring 3 cups of water to a boil in a pot.
- Add the orzo and cook for about 8 minutes, orzo should still be firm, but cooked through.
- Drain the orzo and place in a large mixing bowl with 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil. This will prevent the orzo from sticking together while it is cooling. Set aside until completely cool.
- In a jar or measuring cup, combine the vinegar, lemon juice, honey, sea salt, black pepper, and extra virgin olive oil. Shake to combine well and set in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- When the orzo is completely cool, add the sliced grape tomatoes, red onion, chopped basil, and chopped mint to the bowl. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- When ready to serve, pour half of the dressing over the ingredients and toss add more dressing as needed.
- Plate and serve.
Enjoy! Share your favorite or send us your creation!