It's not the holiday season without a cup of hot chocolate!
A warm cup of hot chocolate is one of those things that you just can’t go without during the holidays, but it’s traditionally full of refined sugar. So, we took to the Women of Today Test Kitchen to make this classic better for you! Our healthier Better For You Hot Chocolate recipe is naturally sweetened with dates, and only requires three ingredients.
WOT we love about this recipe, besides the fact that it’s better for you: You can customize the chocolate taste to your liking. For example, if you perfect a deeper chocolate flavor, add more cocoa powder or vice versa.
Oat milk not your thing? Try almond or even a dairy milk — Whatever you prefer. If you haven’t tried a plant-based whip cream, we suggest you do.
Better For You Hot Chocolate
- 8 oz almond or oat milk
- 1 medjool date, pitted and cut in half
- 1 tbsp unsweetened coco powder
- Dollop of whipped cream or plant-based whipped cream
- Dusting of coco powder
- In a small saucepan, add milk of your choice, add date and coco powder. Bring to a slow simmer for five minutes, stirring a couple of times.
- Transfer the milk mixture to a blender. IMPORTANT - Tilt blender lid slightly so it is ajar. This is needed for proper venting when you blend the hot chocolate. Blend the hot chocolate for about 30 seconds on medium settling, this step helps to incorporate the date into the hot chocolate.
- Pour into a serving cup and top with a dollop of whipped cream and dusting of coco powder if desired.
Making this recipe? Be sure and share it with us on the WOT Instagram or on Facebook!
All photos by Lorianne DeVita