WOT reader Rosalie Flummer shares with us her recipe for our furry little friends! This doggy birthday cake is the perfect way to celebrate your pet... Whether it's their birthday or not!
Today a friend requested a cake for her sweet pup’s birthday and I thought hey, why not submit the recipe? I thought it might be something new and fun to throw into the mix. I know my two pups love it! Our dogs are rescues and we don’t know their exact birthdays so we celebrate their “gotcha day” with this cake. Not long after we adopted Daisy we discovered she was allergic to grain. Being an experienced baker I went in action to make sure my fur baby wasn’t going to miss out on any treats.
I started making gluten-free dog treats and this cake. Which can easily be made gluten-free by replacing the all-purpose flour with brown rice flour. Just to brighten your day and hopefully make you smile I included a few pics of our fur babies Pixi and Daisy.
Enjoy! Much love!
— Rosalie Flummer
Sweet Potato & Peanut Butter Birthday Cake for Your Pup
- 2 8x8 baking pans (round or square)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (or brown rice flour)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 cup apple sauce
- 1 cup mashed sweet potato
- 3/4 cup peanut butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- Mix sweet potato, coconut oil, apple sauce, peanut butter and eggs until smooth. This cake is dense and over mixing will make it tough.
- In a separate bowl mix flour and baking soda.
- Combine both wet and dry ingredients just until no dry flour shows. Batter will be very thick.
- Evenly distribute batter into lightly greased pans. Because this batter is so thick you will need to use your hands to gently press the batter out evenly in the pans.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes.
- After 10 minutes remove cakes from pans and place on a wire rack to cool for 1 hour.
- Once cool spread a thin coat of icing on top of one layer of the cake. Place a second layer on top of the frosted first layer, frosting just the top or the entire cake. Decorate with dry dog food and or treats if desired.
- Keep covered and refrigerated until ready to store. Refrigerated this cake has a shelf life of 3-4 days.