It's time for another $20 Tuesday at Women of Today! Each week, the WOT Test Kitchen will be featuring a delicious recipe that can feed a family of four, all for around $20!
We are always big fans of an easy, healthy, and flavorful meal — But when you can make that meal for a family of four for around $20? Even better! This week for $20 Tuesday, we bring you this Cilantro Lime Chicken with Mixed Greens from the WOT Test Kitchen.
WOT we love about this recipe: It is quick to make, and even faster if you make the marinate the day before. You can also get creative and add other toppings to this recipe (think black beans, tortilla strips or corn). Basically, a quick browse through your fridge or pantry and you are likely to find other toppings to add to this dish.
The flavors of this salad are fantastic and the Cilantro Dressing is very versatile. We also use it on our Hearty Vegan Southwest Salad.
Cilantro Lime Chicken with Mixed Greens
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, split to make 4 filets
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 zest of one lime
- 1/2 juice of one lime
- 1/4 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- pinch of salt
- pinch of pepper
- 5 cup mixed greens: lettuce, or Romaine
- green onions
- jalapeno peppers
- grape tomatoes
- In a shallow baking pan, combine the olive oil, lime zest, lime juice, finely chopped cilantro, minced garlic, pinch of salt and pepper. Mix to combine ingredients and make your marinade.
- Lay the four pieces of chicken in the pan and then turn once so marinade covers the opposite side.
- Place in the refrigerator for 30min. You can also make this a day ahead, cover and refrigerate overnight.
- When ready to cook, preheat oven to 375°. Please the chicken with its marinade into a shallow baking dish. Cook until chicken is golden brown and cooked through about 25-30 minutes.
- The dressing can be made while the chicken is cooking. See below for Cilantro Dressing recipe.
- Remove chicken from oven after cooking and browning is complete. Assemble your salad, you can serve your dressing on the side or lightly toss with the mixed greens before plating. Slice your chicken into strips. Divide your mixed greens, top with your chicken slices and garnish.
For the dressing, keep scrolling!
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 2 tsp ginger, minced
- 1 cup cilantro, rinsed and roughly chopped, the small part of the stems work too
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice approximately 1 large lime
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsp honey
- 1/3 cup olive oil This will get drizzled in after the above ingredients get blended
- Using a blender or an emersion blender, combine all ingredients except the olive oil. With the motor running slowly on the blender or emersion blender, slowly pour oil into the other ingredients. The dressing will begin to thicken.
Note: $20 is an approximate cost for this dish. The actual price of all ingredients may vary.
All photos by Lorianne DeVita