This healthy recipe will absolutely leave you wanting more! Whether you serve it as a main course or as a starter, it is sure to please everyone!
Craving pasta? Why not keep it healthy and try our Cod and Fresh Tomato Pasta recipe. It contains no added sugar and is full of lean protein. You can also easily make this recipe gluten free by swapping out the pasta.
Portion tip: If you decide to serve this dish as a starter, it will serve six people. If you serve it as a main course, it will serve four.
We featured this recipe in our WOT Sugar Talk series — A great resource if you are looking for more ways to cut sugar out of your life!
Cod and Fresh Tomatoes
- 2.5 lbs cod fillets (or other firm white fish)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- pinch of red pepper flakes or more to taste
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 lbs fresh ripe plum tomatoes chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 lbs Campanelle shape dried pasta cooked in water from cod
- In a large pot, place the cod and cover with enough water to cover the cod generously. Bring to a boil and boil for 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove the cod from the water and set aside in a large bowl until cool enough to handle. Break the cod apartin large pieces and discard any bones.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, warm the oil. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook stirring until the garlic become lightly golden, about 3 minutes. Add all the tomatoes and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the wine and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Gently, lay pieces of cod into the tomato mixture and with a large spoon, cover cod with tomato sauce and continue to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Serve immediately overcooked pasta.
- Reserve the pot of water that the cod was cooked in, salt the water, and raise the heat to high to bring the water to a boil and cook pasta until al dente.
All photos by Lorianne DeVita