If you find yourself with a bounty of basil this time of year, here is an easy and versatile dish that you can whip up quickly.
If you’re like us, then your garden is pretty flush with basil and the thought of it going to waste is just too painful to bear — That is where this simple recipe for Easy Pesto Pasta was born! Flavorful and light, this is a meal you can definitely make to celebrate the end of the summer season and enjoy into fall.
WOT we love about this recipe: The ingredients might be simple, but this dish is bursting with flavor. Easily make this dish gluten free by swapping in a gluten free pasta. We made our recipe with our Grilled Shrimp recipe and it was delicious. You can also make this one with grilled chicken, or any other protein you desire.
Easy Pesto Pasta
- 2 large cloves of garlic, peeled
- 2 tbsp pine nuts
- 2 cups fresh basil
- pinch of sea salt
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 3/4 lb cooked pasta, linguine, or spaghetti work well
- grilled chicken or shrimp
- Ina blender, combine the garlic cloves, pine nuts, and basil. Add a little of the olive oil and turn on blender. You may need to stop the blender and push the basil leaves towards the bottom. When the basil begins to blend with the garlic and pine nuts, slowly pour the remaining olive oil into the blender while it is running. Once it is all incorporated, add in the finely grated parmesan and blend for about 10 seconds.
- Pour the pesto over your cooked pasta and toss to combine. Be sure to scrape out every bit of the pesto in the blender and always be careful near the blades.
- Top with grilled chicken or shrimp and serve.
All photos by Lorianne DeVita