We have to admit, we’ve tried A LOT of dairy-free and gluten-free recipes on this site, but these cupcakes are definitely one of the best! And if you’ve never tried a vanilla coconut cupcake before because you’re more of a chocolate lover, now is your time … The combination of ingredients make for a sweet, light, and tasty dessert that kids and adults alike will love.
As for the toppings, we love using fresh, organic strawberries because they balances so nicely with the vanilla and coconut flavors, but feel free to use any fruit you desire. This easy, no-fuss recipe makes two dozen cupcakes, so you can definitely freeze any extras. We have a sneaking suspicion they won’t be lasting very long though!
Gluten + Dairy-Free Vanilla Cupcakes with Coconut Frosting
- 1 cup coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 2 cups organic sugar (or coconut sugar)
- 6 eggs at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cup almond or coconut milk (we used unsweetened Original Almond Breeze Almondmilk Coconutmilk blend)
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups fine almond flour
- 2 cups coconut flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 can coconut cream (Must be refrigerated for 24 hours ahead of time)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup (You can also use agave nectar!)
- 1 tbsp organic powdered sugar (optional)
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes (lightly toasted in dry pan)
- fresh strawberries
- Preheat oven to 350 F and line cupcake pan with paper cups.
- Whisk together coconut oil, sugar, eggs and vanilla extract until blended. Add almond milk and mix until fully blended with hand mixer.
- Add the dry ingredients mix to the wet ingredients 1 cup at a time until mix is fully blended. (The batter tends to be quite thick!)
- Divide batter in cupcake cups making sure to divide evenly. These should be filled almost to the top.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes.
- While cupcakes are cooking or cooling, open can of coconut cream and scoop out the cream that has risen to the top.
- Beat the coconut cream with 1 tbsp of maple syrup until cream starts to thicken. You may also add organic powdered sugar one tbsp at a time until desired thickness. Frosting should be chilled in the refrigerator for 30 minutes before using.
- Frost the cooled off cupcakes and top with fresh sliced strawberries and toasted coconut. Enjoy!
Recipe Inspired by Ambitious Kitchen.
Enjoy! Beijos xx
Women of Today