If you are looking for a better for you breakfast that's also packed with protein, this recipe is for you!
Cottage cheese pancakes have gone viral, so we jumped into the Test Kitchen to create our own better-for-you version, and they live up to all the hype! The addition of cottage cheese in these Lemon Cottage Cheese Pancakes with BFY Blueberry Syrup not only adds a creamy texture but also boosts the protein content, making them a nutritious breakfast option.
We opted for a touch of maple syrup in the batter to enhance the sweetness, and although this is optional, it complements the tangy lemon perfectly. Once cooked, these pancakes are topped with a homemade blueberry syrup made with fresh blueberries and a hint of maple syrup, creating a truly irresistible breakfast!
Tip: Cooking these pancakes on medium heat ensures a beautiful golden-brown exterior while keeping the inside fluffy and tender.
Lemon Cottage Cheese Pancakes with BFY Blueberry Syrup
- 1 cup whole milk cottage cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ½ cup flour
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1 tbsp maple syrup (optional)
- Zest of 1/2 a lemon
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- Avocado Oil
- 1 cup blueberries
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cottage cheese, eggs, vanilla, baking powder, and flour to a large bowl. Add milk, optional maple syrup, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Stir to combine and set aside.
- In a small sauce pot, add the blueberries and maple syrup. Cook over medium-low for about 5 minutes. The syrup will slightly thicken.
- Add a little avocado oil and heat over medium heat using a griddle or skillet. Add a large scoop of pancake mixture to the skillet and cook until small bubbles form on the top of the pancake and the edges are firm, about 5 minutes on the first side and 2 minutes on the other side. If working in batches, keep finished pancakes warm in a 200-degree oven.
- Top the cooked pancakes with maple syrup.
All photos by Lorianne DeVita