To round out our first-ever WOT Community Week, we saved this sure-to-be new favorite recipe as our last one for the week!
This dish was inspired by WOT community member Joanne Bayouk, who suggested we do a recipe with a Mediterranean theme (and who doesn’t love that?!).
So we came up with this dish with true savory Mediterranean seasonings that bring warmth and a perfectly fragrant aroma into your home that is perfect this time of year!
And in true WOT style, we recreated this classic dish into a one-sheet-pan meal — Meaning it is an easy make-ahead meal to simplify your life and your cleanup!
Sheet Pan Chicken Shawarma with Chickpea and Tomato Salad
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp ground cardamon
- 1 tsp ground cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt (or double the amount of olive oil if not using yogurt)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breast, sliced into wide strips
- 1 large red onion, peeled and quartered – this is held until cooking
- naan or pita
- Chickpea Salad (recipe here)
- To make the marinade, in a large mixing bowl, combine the minced garlic, ground coriander, ground cumin, paprika, turmeric powder, ground cardamon, cayenne pepper (for heat), ground cinnamon, salt, black pepper, lemon juice, Greek yogurt, and oil. Whisk to combine ingredients well.
- Add the sliced wide chicken strips into mixing bowl and toss to combine. Cover bowl and place in the fridge overnight. Occasionally, toss the mixture to be sure all the flavors get into the chicken.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Lightly grease a sheet pan with olive oil.
- Evenly spread out the marinaded wide chicken strips on the baking sheet.
- Add the peeled and quartered onion pieces to the chicken on the baking sheet. Pressing the onion pieces into the marinade.
- Bake the chicken in the oven for 10 minutes, then turn the baking sheet around in the oven so the chicken browns evenly on all sides. You might need to rearrange pieces to make sure all cook and brown evenly. Bake another 10 minutes or until chicken is cooked all the way through and evenly browned.
- Serve with naan or pita, hummus, tzatziki, and chickpea salad.
Chickpea and Tomato Salad
- 2 cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes, quartered
- 1/2 English cucumber, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh dill, chopped (or pinch of dried dill)
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- drizzle of olive oil
- *Optional – drizzle of your favorite vinegar
- Combine all the salad ingredients in mixing bowl and toss. If you like a little more bite to your salad, drizzle a little of your favorite vinegar, toss again and taste.Enjoy
All photos by Lorianne DeVita