Calling all curry lovers!
You are definitely going to want to try this Spiced Chicken Curry With Whole Spices, Tomato and Fenugreek by Cookina Curry (aka, Maunika Gowardhan).
Maunika Gowardhan is an Indian chef and author. Born and raised in Mumbai, India she is now based in the UK. Through her work in food she creates and shares traditional Indian dishes with exciting flavors and ingredients that are reflective of her upbringing and heritage. She shared this flavorful recipe with us which hails from the northern region of India, and it is hearty and packed with robust flavors.
PRO TIP: The secret to cooking this curry is using ground cashew nut paste which lends the creamy texture to the dish. Click our link in bio to get all the delicious details!
And for those who would like a vegetarian version of this recipe, Maunika recommends using cauliflower or eggplant — Both of which work beautifully in this dish.
Spiced Chicken Curry With Whole Spices, Tomato and Fenugreek
- 700 g chicken on the bone cut to medium pieces
- 1 tbsp Greek yoghurt (or any full fat yoghurt)
- 1 tsp kashmiri chilli powder (or mild chilli powder)
- 1 tsp black pepper powder
- 8 garlic cloves roughly chopped
- 2 inches ginger, roughly chopped
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil or ghee
- 2 inches cinnamon stick
- 4 cloves
- 4 green cardamom pods whole
- 2 dried mild chillies
- 80 g white onion
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder (heaping)
- 150 g tomatoes, finely chopped
- 50 ml water
- 120 g cashew nuts
- 2 tbsp kasoorimethi / dried fenugreek leaves (optional)
- Soak the cashew nuts in plenty of water. Blend the cashew nuts along with 80mls water to a smooth fine paste andset aside.
- Blend the garlic and ginger with a splash of water and set aside. In the same blender add the onions and blend to a smooth paste. Set aside.
- In a large bowl add the Greek yogurt, half the amount of Kashmiri chilli powder, black pepper and 2 tsps of the garlic ginger paste. Add the chicken and mix well. Leave to marinate for a few hours or overnight preferably.
- In a large nonstick sauce pan, heat the oil over a medium flame. Add the cinnamon, cloves, cardamom and dried chillies. Fry for a few seconds and add the onion paste. Fry for 6-8 minutes. Stir well making sure it doesn't stick to the pan. Add the remaining garlic ginger paste and fry for 1 minute as the raw flavours cook through. Add the remaining chilli powder, turmeric and coriander powder. Stir well and fry for a minute.
- Now add the tomatoes and fry for 5 minutes as they begin to soften. Add the marinated chicken and see the pieces stirring well for 7-8 minutes.
- Add water and season to taste. Simmer over a low heat for 20 minutes with a lid on. Add the cashew paste and stir for 2 minutes. Turn the heat off. Add the fenugreek leaves and serve warm with naan orparatha.
Enjoy! Trying this recipe? Be sure and share it with us on Instagram!