Straight out of the WOT Test Kitchen this week comes this recipe for Corn, Gnocchi, Mushroom Summer Salad... and it's seasonal perfection.
Picture fluffy gnocchi tossed with sauteed sweet corn and mushrooms.
We took a summertime favorite and put our WOT spin on this and best of all, this is a make-ahead version — And making it ahead doesn’t cause the recipe to lose texture or taste.
We also thought this dish needed a little something special, and the addition of smoked paprika took the recipe to a whole other level!
Pro Tip: You’ll know your gnocchi are done when they float to the top of the pot. They also cook very quickly so keep an eye on them!
We ate this hearty salad with a grilled chicken breast but you can truly enjoy this salad with anything or just eat it on its own!
Corn, Gnocchi, Mushroom Summer Salad
- 16 oz refrigerated potato gnocchi
- 12-24 oz sliced mushrooms (you decide how what kind and many mushrooms you’d like)
- 3 tbsp butter
- sea salt and ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup red onion diced
- 3-4 ears of corn (kernels removed)
- 1 large (or 2 small) cloves of garlic
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- 2 tbsp honey
- 3 tbsp butter, sliced into pats
- 1.3 cup fresh basil (save some for garnish)
- drizzle of olive oil
- garnish with smoked paprika
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the gnocchi and cook according to the package directions. Drain and place in a heat resistant mixing bowl and add two tablespoons of butter. Toss the butter with the warm gnocchi to prevent sticking. Set aside.
- Heat large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms into the dry pan and they will release their water. When water is completely evaporated, add in 1 tablespoon of butter and the mushrooms will begin to brown. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Remove from pan and place in bowl on top of cooked gnocchi. Set aside.
- Return the skillet to medium-high heat and add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add the red onion and cook until translucent. about 1-2 minutes. Stir in the corn and garlic, then continue to cook until the corn is bright yellow and tender, 2 to 3 minutes more. Stir in the vinegar and honey. Remove from pan and pour mixture into the bowl with the cooked gnocchi and mushrooms.
- Let the mixture cool, add ¼ cup of fresh torn or sliced basil to the bowl, cover, and place in the fridge until ready to serve. When ready to serve, bring bowl out an hour before serving to get to room temperature. You can also reheat in the microwave for 3-4 minutes. Toss the mixture. If it looks like it needs a little moisture, drizzle with a little olive oil. Sprinkle with a touch of smoked paprika on top and garnish with whole basil leaves.
- Add in ¼ cup fresh torn basil and gently toss. If mixture looks like it needs a little moisture, drizzle with a little olive oil. Sprinkle with a touch of smoked paprika on top and garnish with whole basil leaves.
If you want another great and filling salad, try our Hearty Vegan Southwest Salad with Cilantro Dressing.
All photos by Lorianne DeVita