Here’s a different twist on a watermelon salad that is both savory and sweet.
This week in the WOT Test Kitchen we whipped up this Savory Watermelon Salad and it is perfect for your next summer meal. Bursting with flavor, this salad is easy to make and it looks beautiful on any table.
The key with any watermelon salad is trying to get that perfect watermelon. If you haven’t already seen Camila talk about how to pick a watermelon, you can check it out here.
When it comes to the flavors in this recipe, it’s the touch of the red onion and all the fresh herbs that take this watermelon salad to a whole new level. Make sure you don’t substitute with dried herbs so you can really get the incredible flavor!
This salad is also gluten free, nut free and vegan optional (just leave out the cheese or substitute with a vegan feta alternative).
Savory Watermelon Salad
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely diced
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup loosely packed mint leaves, chopped
- 2 limes, juiced
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- pinch of Salt to taste
- 1/2 seedless watermelon, cut into bite-size cubes
- 4 oz feta cheese, crumbled
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the onion, cilantro, basil, mint, lime juice, extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar and a pinch of salt. Using a large spoon mix the ingredients together and let sit on the counter while you cut up your watermelon.
- Add the cut watermelon to the large mixing bowl with the dressing at the bottom. Top with the feta cheese.
- Using a large spoon, gently toss the watermelon and feta with the dressing at the bottom of the mixing bowl. After combined, transfer to a serving bowl.
- Garnish with fresh mint and a thin slice of watermelon.
- Serve immediately.
All photos by Lorianne DeVita