We've never met a summer pasta dish we didn't love!
Today we welcome back Chef Petrina Peart to Women of Today! You may remember Chef Pert from our WOT Chef Series and her amazing recipe for Galette de Ratatouille. Today she is bringing us a light and fresh pasta dish perfect for summer, Pesto And Linguine. This recipe is also easily made vegan and Petrina has includes all the vegan substitutions in the recipe below.
Petrina‘s pesto recipe is a classic one, but with a slight twist with the addition of crushed red pepper flakes (we promise you may never make pesto without this secret ingredient ever again)! The pesto is served in a cream sauce over a bed of linguine and trumpet mushrooms.
Make sure to read through the whole recipe because Petrina has also included some amazing optional garnishes you can add to this dish at the end.
Chef Petrina Peart's Pesto And Linguine
- 1/2 to 3/4 cups oil
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups chopped basil
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 tbsp parmesan cheese (vegetarian) or Nutritional Yeast (vegan)
- pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper
- 1 box linguine (any pasta you like)
- 1 package king trumpet mushrooms
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup heavy cream (or plantbased milk)
- In a blender or food processor, blend together until mixture is smooth. Set aside for sauce.
- Scored and seared king trumpets mushrooms using the 10 and 2 grill mark method. Slice each king trumpet mushroom in half vertically (from tip to stem).
- Once halved, place mushroom at the 2 o’clock position and begin slicing diagonally from mushroom tip to stem all the way down the mushroom (on the flat side). Then turn the mushroom where the tip faces the 10 o’clock position and repeat the slices. Scored diamonds should appear on our mushrooms. Do this for all your trumpets.
- Season mushrooms with salt and pepper. Heat oil in skillet to sear mushrooms. When oil is hot, place mushrooms in skillet, scored side down. Cook until golden brown, then remove from skillet. Serve on top of pesto and pasta.
- Heat cream/milk in a sauce pan with 1 cup of pesto. Heat until simmer (do not boil) and serve over boiled pasta.
- Pearl onions halved and seared. Peel onions and cut in half. Sear with oil, salt and pepper
- Basil leaves
- Edible flowers - Nasturtium flowers or leaves adds a nice spice.
- Vegan or meat-based sausage.
Making this recipe? Be sure and share it with us on the WOT Instagram or on Facebook!
About Chef Petrina Peart
Chef Petrina was born and raised in Jamaica until her family migrated to the US. That early rearing as a child where she could go outside and pick a fruit from a tree left a lasting impression on how she looked at food. She spent 8 years in the Air Force; through her travels, she discovered her passion for cooking. She gained an understanding of how important food is and how it connects us all despite our different languages and cultures. During her time at Le Cordon Bleu she gained the skills necessary to match her passion and a deeper understanding of gastronomy. Chef Petrina has been making waves in the Vegas food scene for the last 5 years, working at restaurants such as Andiron and Americana. Chef Petrina, seeing the need for vegan fine dining food in Vegas, created Gaiya’sHarvest. A pop-up dinner and small events catering concept that also offers cooking lessons.Gaiya’s Harvest specializes in creating unique experiences by reimagining what vegan food can be.
You can also follow Gaiya’sHarvest on Instagram and Facebook.