Delicious recipes like this one are made for sharing!
This Spicy Lasagna Soup recipe from @a_sutherland_belle is definitely worth making sure all of you in our WOT community know about it! This dish combines two of our fall favorites, lasagna, and soup, and turns them into one delicious + hearty meal that you will want to make over and over again.
We admit that this recipe takes a little more time to prepare than the ones we usually share, but we can assure you it is worth the extra time!
Tip: Finish each bowl off with ricotta, parmesan, and red pepper flakes, and serve with your favorite garlic bread, like our Garlic Bread With A Twist.
Spicy Lasagna Soup
- 1 lb. hot or mild Italian sausage, removed from casings
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 28 oz. can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 13.8 oz. container of Pomi’s crushed tomatoes with chili peppers
- 1 4.6 oz. tube of Pomi’s double concentrated tomato paste
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp. fennel seeds
- 2 tsp. thyme
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. basil
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1 16 oz. box of lasagna noodles (broken into bite-size pieces) or Mafalda pasta
- 1 cup mozzarella, shredded
- ½ cup pepper jack cheese, shredded
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- Ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese, and fresh parsley, optional
- Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven over high heat. Add the onion and cook until softened about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the meat and sausage. Season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Cook, breaking up the meat as it cooks until browned all over, 10 minutes.
- Once the meat is cooked through, pour in the chicken broth, crushed tomatoes, paste, fennel seed, thyme, oregano, basil, bay leaves, salt, and pepper. Simmer on low for 20 minutes. Add cheese and cream and stir well.
- While the soup is cooking, prepare the lasagna noodles in a separate pot according to the package directions. Drain and add back to the pot with the cheeses. Remove bay leaves.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and serve topped with ricotta, parmesan, and fresh parsley. Enjoy!
Recipe by @a_sutherland_belle