Ready for a creamy and delicious mushroom soup that checks all the boxes?
Everyone seems to love a great soup, especially this time of year. WOT we love about this recipe: it is a super easy soup to pull together, and you will be enjoying it within the hour.
You can also make it ahead of time and keep refrigerated for up to a week.
Kevin Dundon’s Mushroom Soup
- 4 tbsp. butter
- 2 onions finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 2 sage leaves
- 4 8 oz. packages mushrooms sliced or chopped
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1-3/4 cup chicken stock warmed
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- toasted bread to serve
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, melt 4 tablespoons of butter. Add the onions, garlic, thyme sprigs, sage, and mushrooms. Cook for 5-8 minutes until onions and mushrooms are soft. Note that the mushrooms will release a lot of water.
- Remove several mushrooms and save to garnish bowls. If you want to brown the mushrooms, heat a small sauté pan, add a touch of butter, and cook the mushrooms over medium heat until you achieve the desired color. Set aside for garnish.
- Add the wine to the pot and allow it to evaporate for 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a slow simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the heavy cream and blend using an emersion blender until very smooth.
- Check the seasoning and add more salt or pepper if needed.
- Serve and garnish with reserved mushrooms and thyme.
Need a great bread to go with this soup? Try our Garlic Bread with a New Twist!
All photos by Lorianne DeVita